Easter Candy Caution

ImageIf baskets brimming with chocolate bunnies, peanut butter eggs, Peeps, and jelly beans are a part of your Easter celebration please keep your pets safe.

The ASPCA POISON Control Center reports that chocolate has topped the list of toxins ingested by pets for the past 10 years. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.

“Sugar-free” candies, gums, mints, baked goods, and chocolate containing he artificial sweetener xylitol are poisonous to pets too, causing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in dogs.

Other candies such as lollipops and those with plastic components can cause intestinal obstructions or rupture if ingested.

Dogs have an excellent sense of smell, keep counter and table tops clear, and a lid firmly locked on the trash can prevent pets from eating candy wrappers and other food packaging.

Always warn children not to share their treats with the family pets!

If you suspect your pet has ingested something dangerous or toxic, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s