Hazards Around the Holidays

The holidays are a busy time and we sometimes lost track of what is going on with our pets. With decorations, gifts, holiday food and excitement, we have to make sure our pets do not get into trouble. We have to pay attention to what our pets are doing. To keep them happy, healthy, and safe here are some important holiday tips.

  • Be prepared for guests when they arrive. Secure your pet so he will not run out of the open doors.
  • Check to see that decorations and tree preservatives are not toxic.
  • Maintain your pet’s regular schedule of eating and exercise and let him have a place to escape from your parties. Too much food, treats, handling, and excitement may cause him to have an upset stomach.
  • Wrapped packages of food can entice your pets to chew them apart.
  • Alcoholic beverages can put a dog in a coma. Many holiday drinks can have 20 – 40 proof alcohol in them.
  • Keep your chocolate candy and cookies away from your pets. Small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea while large amounts can cause abnormal heart rhythms, nervous system malfunctions and even death.
  • Make sure all garbage is put away. Out throwaways like meat scraps, bones, gift-wrap, ribbon, and foil can rest in vomiting and diarrhea while large amounts can cause abnormal heart rhythms, nervous system malfunctions and even death.
  • Children’s small toys and balls can be ingested and can cause choking and intestinal blockage, which might have to be removed surgically.
  • Make sure your trees are secure so they don’t get knocked over. Your pet can choke on decorations. You may need a scat mat around the base of your tree. Do not use edible decorations on your tree. Breakable ornaments can cause choking or cuts to their mouths.
  • Holiday plants should be kept out of reach of your pet. Poinsettias and mistletoe can cause serious problems. Be sure to vacuum up needles as they can cause intestinal blockages.
  • Keep candles and fireplaces secure to avoid singed whiskers and burns.
  • Make sure your pets cannot chew on your electrical cords as these can cause electrocution.

Image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s